Monday, May 18, 2015

Journal Entry No. 15

5/18/YC117

I traced back every single thing I did that day--April 28th, YC117.
All the data had pointed to one thing. That artifact of my ancestor, the one that was displaying the number 0 . 5 7 1 0 4 6. The artifact itself was clearly not the cause: it was quite obvious to someone as knowledgeable as me that it was measuring something.
I'd always asked myself: But what? What is it measuring?
At the time, it seems I'd been too stupid to realize what it truly was.
On that day, I'd researched the Drifters. The Circadian Seekers. The Sleepers. What were they, really?
Takeda mentioned a chrono shift. How would such a thing happen? It's not naturally occurring phenomena, after all. The only ones capable of such a thing are the Jove, second directorate.
Recently these second directorate Jovians---the Drifters---have been very interested in recovering the Antikythera element from Jove Observatories around New Eden. The Imperial Navy has analyzed the Antikythera element, however they refuse to release their findings besides claiming that their focus is not weaponization. I happen to have some of the element myself, though, stolen from the wrecks of some Circadian Seekers. The abbreviation of the element is not final, but I will be calling it "Ak" for now.
Held in the hand, it seems to pulse gently. If cut in half to reach the core which seems to glow, the edges of where it was split no longer glow, and the glowing core retracts into the center. I thought this similar to how a magnet splits into two different North and South poles if you attempt to split it in two. When placed a distance from each other, each Ak half pulses at a separate rhythm and begins to pulse off-beat from each other. When brought together, they synchronize with each other and pulse simultaneously, but no more
I examined the Nixie Tube artifact (hereon referred to as "The Display"). When Ak is brought close to The Display, it also seems to pulse, although I see no glow anywhere in it besides the Nixie Tubes, which are built to glow.
Come to think of it, I recalled. When I first examined this Display, there was something about it that seemed strange, but at the time I couldn't quite put my finger on what exactly. It had a prehistoric cable cord for power, but besides that which no longer worked since there was no auxiliary power outlets that matched that shape, it seemed to have a small supercapacitor to power the low-voltage parts and prevent loss of memory. What was strange now was that the Nixie Tubes were on, but the device was not plugged in.
Clearly this meant that The Display has an alternate power source somewhere in it.
Ak seems to thrum with power. The Display seemed to pulse when Antikythera was brought near it.
All the evidence points toward there being Antikythera in The Display. But how? Antikythera hasn't even been discovered by modern scientists, and was only brought to light by reverse engineering the Jovian technology.
Tests conclude that Antikythera is electricity-conductive, almost seeming to amplify power output of a source. However, it doesn't seem able to store much power (relatively) when hooked up similar to a capacitor.
Wait a second... I paused. I screwed up in my initial analysis! I thought that there was a glass-like capacitor inside the display to detect minute differences in the Quantum Foam. The idea is that  using such a design would subsequently remove power from the outside of the capacitor and create "negative" energy as virtual particles in the Quantum Foam would materialize on one side but not inside the capacitor. This, is of course, measurable with fine instruments, so I assumed that it was measuring that. However, there was no such measuring apparatus within The Display, thus my mistake.
In fact this design was, in reality, nothing more than a simple capacitor used for high-voltage applications. It made sense, after all---the Nixie Tubes needed high voltage whereas other parts in The Display needed low-voltage, which the supercapacitor took care of.
I've taken almost a week since I began examining The Display as well as Antikythera, but something else odd has popped up since then. Antikythera has since seemed to pulse faster.
I haven't examined this Ak for an entire month, but I have a prediction. I stole--er, retrieved this from a Circadian Sleeper wreck.
Circadian: Occurring in cycles, most commonly 24-hour cycles.
Some research I read of another fellow capsuleer placed origins on "Antikythera", which was supposedly an extremely complex mechanism used to predict lunar and solar patterns of a single moon on a single planet with a single sun. Primitive, but it still worked provided those three variables were stable.
I'd hazard a guess that this Antikythera cycles similarly.
No measuring apparatus, and yet when I touch exposed parts of the circuit with Ak, the Nixie Tube display varies rapidly. When removed, it defaults back to the original number.
It was measuring something based on Antikythera. The only thing that seems to be measurable is the pulsing rhythm, although I could be wrong.
Hmm... An idea came to mind, but it was moreso a shot in the dark than anything else.
Whatever the case, I needed a particle accelerator to make it work. A particle accelerator with 4-8 evenly spaced Antikythera on one cross-section of the accelerator. I'll need to hijack a mission's particle accelerator; I'll keep the location of where this will be occurring confidential for now. Antikythera is not exactly cheap, and my funds to buy more are running out.
El. Psy. Congroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment